Immigration Law

Spouse Visas Immigration Marriage Tips

Today I am going to explain to you exactly what fiancée visas and spouse visas are. Additionally, I will explain what it means to have permanent residency and how permanent residency differs from citizenship. I should note, though, that the two words fiancée and fiancé have different meanings. With one “e” this word refers to a man who is engaged to be married, but a fiancée is a woman who is engaged to be married. For simplicity purposes, I am using the feminine word fiancée to refer to both the man and the woman who are engaged.

Everything You Need To Know About Marriage-Based Immigration In The USA

Perhaps you are already married, and your foreign spouse is already in the United States. I will explain what you can do to adjust your spouse’s status so that he or she can become a permanent resident.

I will also teach you what your options are if your spouse or fiancée is currently residing in the United States, and came to this country on a student, tourist or a work-related visa. There are certain problems that you and your spouse or fiancée might face, and today you will learn what options you have to help you get through those problems.

Maybe you are already married, but your spouse is in another country and you want to bring him or her into the United States. In that case, you will learn what needs to be done so that you can bring your spouse into this country.

It’s possible that you met a person whom you now wish to marry while you were traveling overseas, or it is possible that you have met your potential spouse over the online dating sites. Today, you will learn what you can do in order to obtain a fiancée visa for your future spouse. With a fiancée visa, your fiancée may travel to the United States so that you can get married here and your spouse may then obtain permanent residence. I will explain everything you need to do in order to make this happen.

In some cases, it may be less expensive for you to travel to your fiancée’s native country, get married there, and then return to the United States as husband and wife. However, this is not always the case, and it depends on your individual situation. I am going to explain exactly how to determine whether this is a good choice for you or not.

There are two places where people typically turn for help with immigration. They either consult an attorney or they contact Immigration Services through the official website or by phone.

The problem with hiring an attorney, of course, is that an attorney can be very expensive. There are a lot of high-priced attorneys out there who will charge hundreds of dollars for legal advice that you can trust. Some attorneys might even charge you thousands of dollars. Many people in your situation believe that an attorney must be used or that it is a legal requirement to use an attorney. However, this is not the case at all. Although it is best to consult an attorney, you are not legally required to hire one to help you. In fact, thousands of couples make it through your situation successfully each year without the help of an attorney. Consider this example: When you buy a new house, it is always a good idea to consult a real estate attorney, but thousands of people buy new houses everyday without the assistance of an attorney. In a similar manner, you can go through the immigration process without an attorney.

spouse visas

One of the first places that many people look for help when they immigrate or want to bring a spouse or a fiancée into the United States is the government website that addresses this topic. However, this can lead to problems, because what people usually do not realize ahead of time is that the official immigration website is confusing and difficult to navigate.

You have probably visited the official website for the Immigration Services, and you may already know how confusing it can be. The information might be incomplete or written in such a way that makes it appear to be very complex, leaving you with more questions than answers. One link on the website takes you to the forms you might need without explaining who needs those forms or whether those forms apply to your situation. Another link tells you how the regulations are decided and laws are made, but it does not help you learn what regulations apply in your situation. As a result, getting this vital information can be very difficult when you are trying to conduct the research on your own.

Once you have done the right thing by researching on-line and trying to find your answers before blindly submitting forms, you might still end up making a mistake based on information you thought was correct, but you definitely need to make sure you do not make any mistakes while filing your paperwork. Recently, the majority of the staff of the Immigration Services has been assigned to handle issues related to national security. Issues that are not related to national security, but which are related to immigration, such as marriages, are not considered a priority. Because marriages are not considered a priority to Immigration Services right now, everything related to marriage-based immigration moves very slowly, so it might take forever to correct a mistake.

If you make a mistake, it can take a very long time to even detect the problem, and months can go by before you can even begin to correct the problem. For example, if you send some of your forms to a local USCIS office instead of correctly sending them to the regional office (or the other way around), it could take a very long time to learn that the forms went to the wrong location. Then it will take even longer to retrieve the forms in order to send them to the correct office. Simply resubmitting the forms to the correct location may end up taking longer than the entire process would have taken had you done everything correctly right from the start. The same goes for filing the wrong forms to a correct location. In any case, making a mistake is not something you want to risk.

Let’s say that you decide to do everything exactly right, so you seek help from the official website. Since you do not see all of the information you need, or since you have questions that are not answered on the website, you decide to call the Customer Service phone number listed on the website. There’s a very good chance that when you call, you will hear an automated response that sounds similar to this: “All of our agents are currently assisting other people. Our call volume is very high at the moment, and we recommend that you call back some other day.”

spouse visas

I know this sounds unbelievable, but it is true. In fact, you might not even get a chance to stay “on hold,” because after this message plays, the line may be disconnected. The automated response system will hang-up on you if there are too many calls coming into the office at the time you call. Of course, you might end up being one of the lucky people who actually gets to stay “on hold” when you call. If this is the case, then you will most likely be “on hold” for an average of 40 minutes. Even when you are finally connected with a representative after waiting for 40 minutes, the person you speak with will not be an immigration officer that can answer questions about your case or your situation. The person who will be speaking to you can be compared to a representative of a corporate answering service. Your phone call will be answered, and if you have a question that is on their list of Frequently Asked Questions, then they will read you a scripted answer. As you listen to the answer, you will hear information very similar to what was published on the website, and you probably will not learn anything new. This information is not going to be as helpful as you had hoped, since you have already seen it on-line and know that you have questions about what you already saw on-line.

There is a chance that you will get lucky, though, and that the representative will transfer your call to an Immigration Services agent who is more familiar with the regulations. This new person is equivalent to a second tier support specialist, and you will most likely have been required to wait “on hold” for an additional 20-40 minutes. However, even after waiting all this time, this second person is really just like a supervisor of phone calls. Although this person probably is more experienced than the first person with whom you spoke, it is very likely that he or she will not be able to fully answer your questions either. He or she is probably going to tell you to contact your local USCIS office. After waiting all this time, and patiently seeking answers and assistance, you end up with barely any answers and no help at all. You have waited all this time just to find out that you have to seek assistance at a local office.

Most of the local immigration offices either do not publish their phone numbers or they will not answer questions over the phone. This means that you must actually show up in person or mail a letter. If you mail a letter, then you will likely end up waiting months just to find out a simple answer to your questions. Showing up in person means that you will need to wait in line for 2-3 hours just for answers, or you might be forced to schedule an appointment. It really does depend on where you are located, because each office is different. In most locations, however, you will end up spending at least half a day just to find out what your options are.

You do not only need help with filing the paperwork, though. You also need help determining which route you should take. There are many possibilities, and it is almost impossible to figure out which option is best for you depending upon your specific situation. Besides deciding which option is overall the best choice for you, there are also options for each step of the process, regardless of which way you decide to go. There are options for each step, from filing for an entry visa to filing for an adjustment of status, and from filing for permanent residence to getting a work permit or even applying for citizenship.

I do not have to tell you just how frustrating this entire process can be. You clearly already know what problems that route can lead to, or you would not be here seeking further help. If you have already tried calling the national office or visiting your local office, then you already know firsthand exactly what I am talking about.

The workers in the Immigration Services offices are not bad people, and they are truly doing the best job they can do. Unfortunately, doing their best is not enough to help you right now. Finding relevant information about the immigration process can be an absolutely impossible task. With the current immigration reform underway, this impossible task is only going to get worse. The immigration officials are going to be even busier than they have ever been before.

As I have already mentioned, you will have no choice but to look for information somewhere else. On-line message boards might be one place to look, but there you will only find conflicting information. For example, one person might say that one option is best while another person will say that another option is best. The truth is that the best option for you depends entirely on your own individual situation. No one is going to be able to give you the information you need based on what they did in their situations, because only you know exactly what your situation is.

spouse visas

Right now, you are either married or planning to marry soon. Your fiancée or spouse is either outside of the United States or already in the country. There are many possibilities, and everything is different for each situation. You simply need to know your options, how much it will cost you, how much time it will take, and what common pitfalls you will need to avoid. Fortunately, finding these answers does not need to be stressful, complicated or expensive.

If you are already married, but your foreign spouse is currently living outside of the United States, there are different options for you that you need to be aware of. You will also need to be sure that you know exactly which forms to complete and what fees to pay in order to ensure that your spouse is able to properly enter the country. You may also need to know how to adjust your spouse’s status to permanent resident.

Suppose your foreign spouse was already living in the United States at the time of your marriage to him or her. Maybe he or she was already here on a tourist visa or on a student visa. You are going to need to know how you can help your spouse get permanent residency so that he or she will be allowed to legally remain within the United States.

Once you and your spouse are both living within the United States, you will need to be able to ensure that the foreign spouse can obtain legal employment. It is likely going to take anywhere from three months to three years in order for your case to be fully processed, but in the meantime, the foreign spouse may need to work, depending on your situation, of course. In order to be sure that the foreign spouse is able to legally work within the United States, while the case is pending, a temporary work authorization will be required.

Well, it is all very simple. You see, I have already been through the immigration process, and I have been in your situation. I was actually born in Russia, even though I am now living in the United States. I live here now, because I married an American citizen. My wife and I have been through the same process already that you are going through now. Even though we heard from different people that we should hire an attorney, we did not want to pay the high fees an attorney would charge. Instead, we chose to do everything on our own, and we successfully completed the process without an attorney.

The first problem we encountered was that so much of the information we found on-line was very confusing. Even when we were able to locate the forms and instructions, we still felt clueless about what to do with everything. It actually took us several weeks just to figure out what our options were. At first, when we began trying to find information about the immigration process, we did not even know the difference between terms like “work authorization,” “green card,” and “citizenship.” Besides not knowing what the difference was, we had no idea whether I was even eligible for any of them. As complicated as the process was, we decided to continue our search for answers. We still did not want to pay the attorney fees, so we kept seeking answers on our own.

Finally, we came through and were able to get it all figured out. However, we came through with the desire to help everyone else who might also be struggling through the immigration process in the same manner we had. I know that if we struggled as much as we did, then other people were very likely going through the same complicated situation.

I am not a lawyer, and I am not affiliated with the government in any way. Very simply, I am a person who has been in your position before, and I genuinely wish to help you avoid the same problems that so many people end up making. Because I have been in your position, you can learn from my experience instead of making your own mistakes that could end up costing hundreds in additional fees and taking several months to correct.

#1 — You are an American citizen living in the United States, and you have met and wish to marry someone who lives in another country. Perhaps you met your fiancée on the Internet, or perhaps you were visiting another country when you met this person. Either way, you need to understand your options in order to get a visa for your foreign fiancée.

#2 — You are an American citizen, but you married your current spouse in another country, and you need to bring him or her into the United States.

#3 — You are married to or planning to marry a foreign national who already lives in the United States. Perhaps he or she is here on a fiancée visa, a student visa, a tourist visa, a work-related visa or some other kind of visa. You will need to file paperwork related to the marriage in order to notify Immigration Services of the marriage so that your foreign spouse may be granted permanent residency, which gives him or her the ability to work and re-enter the United States. Permanent residency also allows the foreign spouse to later apply for citizenship.

Once your foreign fiancée or spouse enters the United States on either a fiancée or spouse visas, you will still need to file for permanent residency for that person. You will need to be certain to complete this part of the process accurately so that he or she can legally remain in the United States.

In fact, the government provides this information to you; they just do not provide it in a clear and easy-to-understand format. Maybe if people would complain about how complicated the process is then the government might make it easier. However, most people complete the immigration process for themselves and then move on with their lives. They do not drop everything to write letters to their congressmen demanding that changes be made for everyone else who later goes through the same process. Most assuredly, when this is over for you, you will also just move on with your life, as you should. For these reasons, though, the people who are capable of changing the immigration process to make it easier for regular people just like you will never know how difficult it really is. The government is probably not going to make it any easier anytime soon.

Leave a Comment