What Is the President’s Immigration Plan ?

U.S. President said recently that he will seek a major change in our immigration laws. He will be asking Congress to pass a new law allowing undocumented workers the right to stay and work temporarily in the United States.


Congress must first debate this issue and then pass new legislation. Many think it is unlikely a new law will pass this year. We will keep you informed if a new law is enacted.

What Is the President Proposing?

The President is proposing the following:

  • Undocumented persons currently working in the United States would be able to apply for a work permit. This would give them temporary legal status.
  • This work permit would be valid for three years. After that, the temporary worker could apply for an extension. It is unclear how many times the permit could be extended.
  • The temporary worker would have to return home when the work permit expires. The worker may also have to return home if he or she becomes unemployed.
  • Spouses and children of the temporary worker would be allowed to reside in the United States with the worker.
  • The temporary worker would be allowed to leave the United States and reenter without fear of being denied entry.
  • Persons who are living outside the United States may also apply to live and work in this country. They would need a job offer from an employer in the United States. That employer would need to show that no American wants the job.

What Should I Do Now?

You should not pay anyone to assist you now, since there has been no change in the law. Beware of “notarios” and immigration consultants who promise to help you in the application process. Consult our office or an immigration specialist before you take action in the future.

If a farm worker or other “earned” legalization bill passes Congress, you will be required to prove that you have worked in the United States for a certain period of time. Keep a record of the following:

  • Name and address of your current employer, as well as past employers
  • Dates you worked for each employer
  • Type of work you performed for each employer
  • Names of co-workers or people who can verify your employment
  • Documents showing your residence in the United States, such as rent and sales receipts, tax forms, school and medical records, and phone or utility bills.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *